ShareThis

.

.

Karen Adam is now the MSP for Banffshire and Buchan Coast

This web site will no longer be updated save to correct errors.


8 October 2004

MSP’s Concerns That Water Plan Means More Red-Tape for Farmers

Banff & Buchan MSP Stewart Stevenson has written to Rural Affairs Minister Ross Finnie with concerns that planned regulations on water abstraction for agricultural purposes will mean an increase in red-tape for farmers.

Mr Stevenson wrote recently to NFU Scotland branches in his constituency with his concerns and invited feedback. NFU Scotland nationally have made a submission to the Scottish Executive with detailed proposals for minimising the effects the planned regulations will have on farmers and Mr Stevenson has lent his support to this move.

Mr Stevenson said:

“It does strike me that this is yet another layer of administration that some farmers will be forced to deal with, which concerns me. When I was first elected, I visited a farmer who raised the subject of ‘red tape’ and administration with me and I asked him to give me a practical example by showing me the paperwork relating to one animal. The paperwork he showed me took up the entire length of his kitchen table and ever since then, I have been very conscious of the amount of time our farmers have to spend on paperwork”.

In his letter to Ross Finnie, Mr Stevenson states:

“I have had sight of the submission made to your department by NFU Scotland and can tell you that this accurately reflects the views of those farmers in my constituency who have either contacted me specifically on this matter, or raised it in passing.

“I strongly suggest that the proposals to remove small farmers from the need for registration along with the requirement that controls should only be required where there are sound environmental reasons for so doing represent a common-sense approach to this issue and would urge you to take on board the concerns of farmers and the suggestions by the NFU.”

Stewart Stevenson
does not gather, use or
retain any cookie data.

However Google who publish for us, may do.
fiosZS is a name registered in Scotland for Stewart Stevenson
www.blogger.com www.ourblogtemplates.com


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP